I’ve discovered a few things over the past few days while getting over this blasted cold. First is that trying to do any writing while your sinuses are stuffed is pointless, I tried, oh how I tried but it was like some weird game of Chinese Whispers. By the time whatever strange signals made their way down to the nerve endings in my fingers the characters in the book started behaving like other people and not themselves. At that point I scratched what I’d written and gave up until my mental capacity returns to something higher than a brain damaged gerbil (though some would no doubt argue it’s never been higher than that).
Second, and to my embarrassment I guess, I’ve discovered how many blogs are out there. I knew there were a lot of course, I spend a considerable amount of my job falling across them but generally speaking I don’t follow many. That’s changed thanks to the campaign and I’ve now pretty much visited everyone in the YA group I’m in, subscribed and commented.
Third, those little ‘prove you’re not a robot’ things that popup that you have to then decipher into words. After having commented on 40+ blogs if I never see a ‘word’ like ‘travingloi’ again it’ll be too soon. Yeah, I know, necessary evil but the emphasis there is definitely on evil!
And then to my surprise I got tagged, which I thought meant I’d have coloured graffiti down the side of my blog, but no, it turns out that I’ve been tagged by Sophie and had been invited to answer some questions and pass the tag on. While drafting this post I then got tagged by C.B. Wentworth as well, so I’m going to answer both set’s of questions and I’ll then combine the two and pass it on.
Stop press – I now have three! Thanks Jenna! I need to finish this before I get any more!!!!!!!
Sophie’s Questions first
1.When did you start writing?
About 18 months ago. In the bath. The heroine of the book kept talking to me in my head and refused to leave me alone until I started writing ‘her’ story. Bath times haven’t been the same since
2. Who are your literary heroes? (/favourite authors)
Douglas Adams, Dean Koontz, James Herbert. All modern I’m afraid.
3. What is your favourite fictional character?
Hmmmm, tricky, I’m not sure I actually have a favourite as such but I’ll go with Scott Pilgrim
4. What genre(s) do you write?
Well, the first three books are Young Adult, but the outline I’ve got for a fourth book is definitely adult
5. What is your favourite book, tv show and film?
On balance I’d have to say the Hitchhikers Guide books, I can reread them without ever getting bored. TV wise, Big Bang Theory at the moment and for film, probably a toss up between Love Actually and Scott Pilgrim
6. What is your favourite place you’ve visited in the world?
7. What is your favourite music?
Generally Pop, but I’ll listen to Rock and Rap as well
8. Have you ever written fanfic?/Opinions on it?
Never written any, but it’s just another form of writing. To create something, whether a TV show, film or book that inspires people to enhance that story must be fantastic for the original creator.
9. Where is your favourite place to write?
The bath. Which since I write using a laptop can be quite entertaining. And I’m finishing this post from there (apologies for the obvious bad visions this will cause)
10. Tea or Coffee?
11. Have you ever taken part in NaNoWriMo?/ Opinions on it?
No, in fact I had to look up what it was….. We’re a bit sheltered here in the UK 🙂
Okay, 1 down, 2 to go. Now onto C.B.Wentworth
1) What book have you always wanted to read, but still haven’t gotten around to it?
Lord Of The Rings – I could never get past the first chapter. In fairness I haven’t tried recently and probably should but I just couldn’t hack it. Same with Discworld
2) What classic book do you feel is overrated? Why?
Lord Of The Rings – See above 🙂
3) What is your favorite movie adaptation of a book? Least favorite?
Hmmmm, well my worst is easy – Hitchikers Guide To The Galaxy. What a mess! As for favourite, probably the Harry Potter ones
4) Where is your favorite place to write?
The bath 🙂
5) Pen or pencil?
6) What was your favorite toy as a child?
Trying to remember that far back, but I’d probably say lego based on what my mum says (and something my son has inherited)
7) What is the greatest accomplishment of your life?
8) If you could wake up tomorrow having gained any one ability or quality, what would it be?
Eleven Question repellent? I seem to attract them :-). In all seriousness, probably more patience than I have
9) What are five songs you hate to admit you love?
I can’t actually think of five, but Kylie Minogue – The Locomotion and Steps – Tragedy off the top of my head
10) Where is your dream destination, (or place you’ve always wanted to go)?
Disneyworld (and I’m pleased to say that’s happening this year)
11) What are the top five things on your bucket list?
Don’t have one I’m afraid 🙂
And finally from Jenna
1. Redvines or Twizzlers?
Neither, we don’t have those in the UK and I had to google them 🙂
2. With your iPod/MP3 on shuffle, what’s the first song that comes up?
I don’t really use an MP3 player, but doing it on my PC it was Eminem – Toy Soldiers
3. What’s your least favorite book you ever had to read for school?
Janet and John 🙂
4. You’re the producer for turning any one book into a movie, which do you choose to do?
5. What’s your favorite youtube video?
Any of the Halo Fails Of The Weak videos
6. Who did you look up to when you were thirteen years old?
Errrr….. you know I honestly can’t remember! Please stop, you’re making me feel old!
7. Which food do you wish you could rid the planet of?
8. Why did you decide to start blogging?
To share my experiences of trying to write a book
9. Do you cry over books/movies/TV shows?
Yes, as long as they hit the right nerve. I’ve cried in ET and numerous other films as long as I’m emotionally engaged. And I always have to leave the room when the last bit of the Polar Express is on (the bit where he’s explaining how the bell still rings for him) otherwise I’m in floods of tears!
10. What’s one thing you believe in with all your heart?
11. Flowers or chocolate?
So, I now have 11 questions for 11 new protagonists :
1. If you could be any fictional baddie who would you be and why?
2. If you could go back in time and stop someone being born who would it be?
3. When do you get your most inspirational ideas?
4. If you had to live without either books or music, which would it be?
5. Who provides the most encouragement for your writing?
6. If you could have one wish, what would it be?
7. Do you remember your dreams and do they influence your writing?
8. What word do you frequently misspell?
9. How much influence in your writing do you take from other people’s opinions?
10. If there is one book you wish you’d written, what is it?
11. Starter or Dessert?
Phew, right, I’m just going to pick some people who’ve posted comments on my blog or are in my YA group, so watch out :
If you choose to take on the challenge, please post a link from your answers to this post. Have fun and pass it along to 11 more bloggers.